Sunday, July 7, 2013

Why students should learn to play chess

I have recently started a chess club in my school.  I am looking to extend this to teaching chess to the new entrant class (five year olds) that I teach in for one day a week.  This article reinforces my belief that a chess in schools programme could be extremely beneficial to students, even as young as five years of age.

Here's a key paragraph from the article:

'What the elite private academy and the inner-city public school both know is that "Chess makes you smart," a slogan of the U.S. Chess Federation (USCF). A growing body of research is showing that chess improves kids' thinking and problem-solving skills as well as their math and reading test scores'. 

To read the article in full, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment