Sunday, April 15, 2012

The balancing act of nurturing talent without being a pushy parent

I really enjoyed this opinion piece by Megan Nicol Reid from today's Sunday Star Times.  It discusses the balance act of providing opportunities and having dreams for our children without crossing over the boundary to becoming a pushy parent.  Here's a small piece from the article:

'As a parent it worries me that you could miss their calling. What if you don't sign them up for that extra-curricular activity that could lead to fame and riches ... well, personal fulfilment at least. My son would like to do soccer, rugby, drums, tennis, karate, kendo, bmx-ing, T-ball, basketball, golf, surf lifesaving and cubs. I've found myself limiting him to two a week'. 

To read the article in full, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment